Skip to main content

Healthy Habits

So, over the past 5+ months I've been trying to make some positive healthy changes. I started:
  • Drinking an acceptable amount of water, 64-96 oz a day
  • Went vegan
  • Increased my exercise substantially
  • Increased my daily raw food intake
  • Lowered my calories
  • Added phsyical therapy to my daily activities
I've started wanting to get a bit healthier, now that I've pretty much mastered everything above, except maybe exercise, with my pain that will take a few more weeks of physical therapy to keep me in the groove I'm in. Anyhow, I started reading articles on green tea and flax meal.


I was reading about how adding 2 cups of green tea to your day can help prevent cancer. Also, that 4 cups a day can help reduce cholesterol, increase weight loss results and prevent type II diabetes. So I've added 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups when I get home from work. Luckily the caffeine is low (4 cups of green tea is equal to less than 1.5 cups of coffee). It's also a diuretic, which is great as I have a problem with often being bloated and retaining water. I drink a lot but I probably eat too much salt. Maybe that will be the next thing I tackle. Although I'm sure I eat way less now that I don't eat restaurant/processed foods like I used to.


Flax has similar benefits to green tea, 1-2 tablespoons a day help to fight breast, prostate and colon cancers. It also has lots of fiber, soluble and insoluble, about 3 grams per tablespoon, which helps with gastrointestinal issues like ibs. It can also help regulate blood sugar, preventing and helping with type II diabetes. It's also helpful in preventing heart disease and the good fats like the ones in flax meal keep your heart healthy.  I am now eating 2 tablespoons a day in my smoothies.  Be sure to grind the flax seeds and keep them in an airtight container in the fridge/freezer to keep it from spoiling. If you eat the seeds whole, they pass through and you don't get the benefits. 

I'd like to start adding at least 1-2 new healthy additions to my lifestyle over the next few months. My second 4 month goal ends June 19th, by then one of my goals is to have added 6 healthy new habits. So far I've added 3 since february 19th when this second challenge started. They are exercise, flax meal and green tea. I'm thinking that by June I'd like to have added spinach to my smoothies. I need to add two other things. Preferably not diet related. Maybe yoga? Or some stress relieving technique. 

What healthy changes have you made to your lifestyle? Do you have any recommendations for me? :)


Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this information. I recently started added in some Flaxmeal to my smoothies and found it to be very satisfying/filling as well. I am also a huge fan of Green tea, I need to drink it more often though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh grrr...tried to post a comment and blogspot burped.

    Anyway! I was saying that I think you've done great with your changes so far.

    If you want a stress related suggestion, google alternate nostril breathing. It is a form of yoga pranayama and it's a very healthy practice. I should do it more myself, actually!

    If you suffer from seasonal allergies, you may try using a neti pot daily. That is a yogic kriya, or cleansing technique. Rinsing the sinuses with salt water can be very soothing and helpful. I only need to use mine when I am sick now but I will always have one on hand!

    This one is shorter 'cause I have to run out to work now, but the gist is there! *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been trying to Eat Real Food (ERF) as part of my healthy lifestyle. Quinoa is a grain I have added to my reliable foods, or foods I can count on to be healthy. I can use it as a breakfast food, or spice it up to go with any meal, plus it makes a mean taboli! You do have to search out the bettter brands, but all in all, for fiber and calories, it is a great find! When I discovered there was an ERF movement, I started to realize, I am not alone - for me it's all about eating fresh foods, not processed. You are an inspiration for this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments and suggestions guys!

    beginning anew, I like quinoa, I make patties and 'cakes' out of it. :D and thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you like to dance? Maybe a little bellydancing (I love it and believe me it is a nice workout) or Zumba? Maybe try a Reiki session? These would definitely be different from dieting and beneficial (and the bellydancing is really fun. If you want more info about helpful DVDs I'll be happy to share). Also, I've added a little cinnamon to my diet - eggs, Cream of Wheat, etc. - because it has antiinflammatory properties that have positive effects on the body.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Popular posts from this blog

"Courage is the hallmark of a warrior"

Are you traveling this path alone, or with your significant other? Joey and I started on this path in earnest on October 19th 2010. He eventually went veggie, I went vegan and we've both become pretty health conscious.  He's lost about 22 lbs, I've lost almost 70 now. (He doesn't have nearly as much to lose.)  Exposure Therapy Joey has a fairly wide streak of social anxiety. He came with me to the gym the day I got my free 3 day pass earlier this week. He even came on the tour of the gym with me, which was panic inducing for him. I had butterflies, but he was shaking and miserable just sitting in the waiting area after the tour, and he was all alone.  Today I asked him to sign up for the 3day pass. I know right now he doesn't have the time or the drive to get a membership, he just wouldn't use it enough for it to matter. But I wanted him to expose himself to the idea, I think exposure therapy is good for him, in many ways.  I think it can help a lot of peop

"Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving."

I looked at this blog for the first time in two years the other day. I wanted to reference a post in another piece of writing. I had completely forgotten that I had revamped this site, and I like its look now. I do honestly miss writing here. So, I might try and liven the joint up a bit. Check back soon! Where am I now? I am going for a physical next Friday. It will be the first one I've had in a year and a half.  I have been gaining and losing the same 20 pounds my entire life, it seems. I have had some severe health issues in the last couple of years, like heavy shit that I'm not going to bore you with right now. Either way, my immune system decided to go bust. I have spent close to a year trying to improve it. I'm eating pretty healthy, I take vitamins now, and immune-boosting gummies, and zinc and blah blah blah. I was also suffering from chronic dehydration. Don't let yourself get there kiddie winkies. It's a bad time. I have spent the last three months or

Cookbook giveaway! (Appetite for Reduction) Enter now!

This contest is for U.S residents only: Okay, so I have a few ideas for some giveaways that I'm planning on doing over the next few months. This is the first one, the next one I'll do once I hit 100 followers cuz it's a bigger prize and I'd like as many people as possible to be able to enter and spread the word. Contest Deadline: Starts now (April 12th) Ends before midnight (eastern time) April 22nd 2011 For now, I will be giving away a copy of my favorite cookbook, Appetite for Reduction , by Isa Chandra Moskowitz  << Her website. The Prize: This book is amazing, a lot of non-vegans think that vegan cookbooks are all full of strange ingredients that are only available at health food stores, but that isn't the case with this book. It has simple recipes made with easy to find and prepare ingredients and nearly everything in the book is between 200-400 calories per serving, and the servings are a good size. I've made many fabulous dishes from this b