Skip to main content

Cream of broccoli soup recipe

~*~*~This recipe is gluten free and vegan~*~*~
As are all my recipes
This makes 2 servings

Stuff you will need:

Stuff I forgot on the drawing board:

Chili powder
Daiya (if you like) or nutritional yeast
Chopped red onion

Prep Directions:
  • The first thing you want to do is put your 2 cups of light plain soy milk (for the calorie watchers) over low heat while you chop your broccoli.
  • Add 1 tbls veggie base. I just got some Spike veggie base powder and it's pretty good.
  • As for the broccoli, I just use mostly florets and break them off or chop them into large chunks. I used about 2 cups of broccoli for the soup. *NOTE* I set aside about a half cup for garnish.
  • Over low heat let 2 tbls of earth balance melt and simmer and then add the onions and saute until they start to turn clearish.
  • Here, you need some type of blender/food processor. I use the new ninja master prep pro.


  • I just add the broccoli Florette's to the bottom of the large container and pour the hot soy milk over top, put the lid/attachment on and blend until smooth. This is also where you would add the flour (rice flour for gluten free recipes). I notice that brown rice flour doesn't seem to clump the way white rice does. *NOTE* at this point it will not yet be creamy.


Cooking Directions:

  • Add the mixture back tot he pot and cook over medium heat. 
  • Add 1 tsp basil
  • Add 2 tsp garlic salt
  • I forgot to add this to my 'drawing board' but here you can also add 1 tsp of chili powder (hot or not), save a tiny bit to use for your garnish.
  • Add .5 - 1 full tsp black pepper (I like my creamy soups peppery)
  • Here, if you have it you can add daiya, if not, this recipe like most, does fine without it, you can even add a sprinkle of nutritional yeast for that cheesy flavor instead if you like. 
  • Take off heat, let stand for a min or two and it will thicken. 


Garnishing:

  • I served the soup up in a bowl and let it set for a min or two so it would be firm enough that the garnish wouldn't fall in, this is of course lovely, but also gives the soup a nice texture by adding these items. 
  • I sprinkled a bit of cheese on top, but this is not a necessity. Then I added the chopped red peppers and then circled steamed broccoli around the edges.
  • The final step is kind of what gives this dish a bit of a kick from the traditional dairy based soups that rely on fat and cream for flavor. Sprinkle a bit of chili powder over top. Done!

The Result...

Keep in mind...a little goes a long way, this soup is very filling!:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cookbook giveaway! (Appetite for Reduction) Enter now!

This contest is for U.S residents only: Okay, so I have a few ideas for some giveaways that I'm planning on doing over the next few months. This is the first one, the next one I'll do once I hit 100 followers cuz it's a bigger prize and I'd like as many people as possible to be able to enter and spread the word. Contest Deadline: Starts now (April 12th) Ends before midnight (eastern time) April 22nd 2011 For now, I will be giving away a copy of my favorite cookbook, Appetite for Reduction , by Isa Chandra Moskowitz  << Her website. The Prize: This book is amazing, a lot of non-vegans think that vegan cookbooks are all full of strange ingredients that are only available at health food stores, but that isn't the case with this book. It has simple recipes made with easy to find and prepare ingredients and nearly everything in the book is between 200-400 calories per serving, and the servings are a good size. I've made many fabulous dishes from this b...

"Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving."

I looked at this blog for the first time in two years the other day. I wanted to reference a post in another piece of writing. I had completely forgotten that I had revamped this site, and I like its look now. I do honestly miss writing here. So, I might try and liven the joint up a bit. Check back soon! Where am I now? I am going for a physical next Friday. It will be the first one I've had in a year and a half.  I have been gaining and losing the same 20 pounds my entire life, it seems. I have had some severe health issues in the last couple of years, like heavy shit that I'm not going to bore you with right now. Either way, my immune system decided to go bust. I have spent close to a year trying to improve it. I'm eating pretty healthy, I take vitamins now, and immune-boosting gummies, and zinc and blah blah blah. I was also suffering from chronic dehydration. Don't let yourself get there kiddie winkies. It's a bad time. I have spent the last three months or ...

"Nothing to say but Mmmmm" vegan alfredo

~*~*~This recipe is gluten free and vegan~*~*~ As are all my recipes Serves two. UPDATE: 3/17/2011 I have de-spiced this a bit and gave directions for a smaller serving of sauce. It seems I like my food spicier than most! ;) I've tried many vegan alfredo recipes I found online or in cookbooks and I never made one that i liked so much i made it twice. Always looking for something better. Tonight I messed around and created my own. My bf took one bite and he made.... The "O" face. Ha! He named this recipe when he said, "Nothing to say but Mmmm...". EDITED TO ADD: You will have LOTS of sauce left over, you can easily cut the sauce ingredients in half. Oops. What you need:  Here it is, excuse my horrible handwriting. I tried. ;) Here is a pic of stuff I used: Directions: I made the alfredo sauce while the gluten free (bionatura is my fave brand), pasta cooked.   I put 1 pack of mori nu lite silken tofu into the ninja ( my food processor above ), and...