I wish I had some chinese 5 spice for this, but I need to find a gluten free one and haven't yet, so for now this is what you get!:
This is definitely one of my fave meals right now and I know a couple people have asked for the recipe, so FINALLY, here it is, thanks for being patient!
- 3 oz extra firm tofu
- 1 thin slice of red onion, chopped
- half seeded jalapeno
- handful lettuce
- 2 corn tortilla shells
- 2 tbls bbq sauce (gf/vegan)
- 1 tbls water
- 1 tbls hot sauce (I used frank's but prefer chalula)
- 1 tbls low sodium gf soy sauce
- 2 tbls tofutti sour cream
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbls salsa
- .5 tsp garlic powder (Not salt as pictured!)
- .5 tsp crushed red pepper
- 'dash' of granulated onion
- .5 tsp cumin
- .5 tsp chili powder
- .5 tbls daiya flavor of your choice. All I had was mozzarella, but I prefer pepperjack
- Slice the tofu into thin rectangular slices
- chop red onion, jalapeno, and lettuce
- heat pan on medium heat, spray with pam or add a small amount of oil to coat pan
- Add tofu
- While tofu is cooking prepare your sauce - Add sesame oil, soy sauce, bbq sauce and 1 tbls water into a small bowl and stir. Add seasonings, really you don't need to measure, this is such a small recipe you can do a dash of this and a smidge of that if you like.
- Once sauce is prepared, mix your tofutti sour cream and salsa together in a bowl and add just a dash of hot sauce, this makes a spicy yet cool condiment.
- Turn heat off and let cool for just a few moments
- Add sauce and seasoning mix to the tofu, turn heat on very low and let simmer for just a few moments while tossing to coat evenly
- Add your veggie mix to the corn tortillas
- Add tofu
- Top with tofutti salsa sour cream
NOTE* Today I made this with cabbage, I didn't have it before, I tossed a bit of cabbage in sesame oil and chili powder and added a few bits of jalapeno peppers and it came out great!