Skip to main content

Getting Healthy At Work!

I'm an optician. I work with two other opticians at my job and we are all on and off again concerned with our health and diet. We never seem to ALL THREE be concerned at the exact same time.

That seems to finally have changed! Right now, all three of us are concerned. So, I came up with a plan. We have a mini fridge at work and a microwave. I also bought a toaster oven for us today. We are all SICK of eating out and ordering in for lunch.

I went to Aldi's (local cheap grocery) and bought 45$ worth of groceries. I got some lean and fit lunch meat, cheese, pb and j fixins, salad fixins and some healthy snacks, like fruit and wheat crackers.  We are all going to chip in each week and take turns getting the groceries. I figure once we are started it should only cost 30$ a week to keep us replenished and stocked on stuff. That's only 10$ per person, per week. We are paying more than that for certain buying junk food and eating out every day! So this will save money AND be a healthier option.

I'm also going to try using my break to walk and get some exercise in when the weather and my schedule permit. I am actually charging my fitbit (which was collecting dust) as we speak!

So, last post, I said I thought I had lost some weight. That I hadn't weighed myself but clothes were fitting better. Well, my Dr called and was bitching at me to come in for my yearly physical. So, I broke down and weighed myself because I'd hate to go in and be shocked that I didn't lose anything or had gained. I've lost about 30 lbs now.  I told her I would make an appointment. (I'm going to give it another month or two since I want to lose about 10 more lbs before I go!

Anyhow, I'm still not doing anything specific. Trying to slowing incorporate more healthy choices into my life. Not tracking calories or anything, and it's coming off SLOWLY but still, it's coming off with very little disruption to my life. So, whatever, I'll take it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cookbook giveaway! (Appetite for Reduction) Enter now!

This contest is for U.S residents only: Okay, so I have a few ideas for some giveaways that I'm planning on doing over the next few months. This is the first one, the next one I'll do once I hit 100 followers cuz it's a bigger prize and I'd like as many people as possible to be able to enter and spread the word. Contest Deadline: Starts now (April 12th) Ends before midnight (eastern time) April 22nd 2011 For now, I will be giving away a copy of my favorite cookbook, Appetite for Reduction , by Isa Chandra Moskowitz  << Her website. The Prize: This book is amazing, a lot of non-vegans think that vegan cookbooks are all full of strange ingredients that are only available at health food stores, but that isn't the case with this book. It has simple recipes made with easy to find and prepare ingredients and nearly everything in the book is between 200-400 calories per serving, and the servings are a good size. I've made many fabulous dishes from this b...

"Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving."

I looked at this blog for the first time in two years the other day. I wanted to reference a post in another piece of writing. I had completely forgotten that I had revamped this site, and I like its look now. I do honestly miss writing here. So, I might try and liven the joint up a bit. Check back soon! Where am I now? I am going for a physical next Friday. It will be the first one I've had in a year and a half.  I have been gaining and losing the same 20 pounds my entire life, it seems. I have had some severe health issues in the last couple of years, like heavy shit that I'm not going to bore you with right now. Either way, my immune system decided to go bust. I have spent close to a year trying to improve it. I'm eating pretty healthy, I take vitamins now, and immune-boosting gummies, and zinc and blah blah blah. I was also suffering from chronic dehydration. Don't let yourself get there kiddie winkies. It's a bad time. I have spent the last three months or ...

"Nothing to say but Mmmmm" vegan alfredo

~*~*~This recipe is gluten free and vegan~*~*~ As are all my recipes Serves two. UPDATE: 3/17/2011 I have de-spiced this a bit and gave directions for a smaller serving of sauce. It seems I like my food spicier than most! ;) I've tried many vegan alfredo recipes I found online or in cookbooks and I never made one that i liked so much i made it twice. Always looking for something better. Tonight I messed around and created my own. My bf took one bite and he made.... The "O" face. Ha! He named this recipe when he said, "Nothing to say but Mmmm...". EDITED TO ADD: You will have LOTS of sauce left over, you can easily cut the sauce ingredients in half. Oops. What you need:  Here it is, excuse my horrible handwriting. I tried. ;) Here is a pic of stuff I used: Directions: I made the alfredo sauce while the gluten free (bionatura is my fave brand), pasta cooked.   I put 1 pack of mori nu lite silken tofu into the ninja ( my food processor above ), and...