Skip to main content

I Was a Fat Bride

Our wedding pictures are the first thing you see when you walk into our home. 



Joey and I have been together for over 22 years. We've both gained and lost a lot of weight over the course of our relationship. Then we regained, and re-lost, you know how it goes. We got married on our 19 year anniversary, which is in March.  We had decided to get married just four months prior. So after what our friends teased was a 'brief 19 year courtship", we decided to just go ahead and do it. I know there are a million blogs and articles about losing weight for your wedding. This is not one of them. I had four months to lose weight. I don't really even remember what was going on, but I had NO desire to diet or attempt to lose weight and so I just...didn't. Joey lost a bit of weight so he could wear that fancy vest. I appreciate the effort, he looked handsome in it. :)

We thought we would never get married. We didn't see the point, we kind of still don't, and luckily, because we're 'doing it right', nothing has changed due to marriage. Other than maybe our tax forms. Our wedding had more to do with enjoying the many legal advantages of marriage than it did for our clearly undying love for each other. We had been together for 19 years at that point, a lack of love or commitment to each other, was not the reason for us not getting married sooner.



I thought a lot before the wedding, of how people cry, they don't want to be a fat bride. They don't want their wedding pictures to be of them, in that state. I see tons of this stuff online. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the pictures once I saw them. (Taken by my amahzing sister at Mara Leigh Photos) I was at my highest weight ever the DAY I got married. Posing for pics was a little nerve wracking, and my sister is short, so maybe some were not such a flattering angle. ha.

 It didn't matter though, because that day, I was SO happy. Legal reasons be damned, I was STILL marrying this amazing man I have shared more than half my life with, and THAT is what I associate with my pictures. I feel like I was beautiful, like I could see myself the way Joey sees me. It was a small wedding. Very chill, no chicken dance, nothing goofy like that. We just shared a meal with some of our friends, listened to some good music, had a little wine, and then spent the night in one of Pittsburgh's fanciest hotels. (on the 19th floor, with 19 yellow roses awaiting me when I walked in the door.) I was worried my self esteem would tank, I'd hate my wedding pictures, but, no. I didn't. I love them dearly. Because they are of us, sharing an amazing day together.

We could have waited, I could have lost 70 lbs, or 90 lbs, before getting married. I mean, I have before. But no, I chose to not put my life on hold until I was thinner. I'm glad that I didn't, it taught me an important lesson about self love. Yes, I'm trying to lose weight. I want to be healthier, and have more energy, and damn if I don't live on the third floor. It would be nice if the steps weren't a challenge every day. I'll get there, but I will not put my life on hold until I do. I was a fat bride, and I don't regret it for a moment.

Comments

  1. I loved reading this. Thank you for sharing it... and you are beautiful! I love the wedding pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an attractive couple, and I'm glad you went ahead with the wedding instead of waiting. The wedding photos are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Popular posts from this blog

"Courage is the hallmark of a warrior"

Are you traveling this path alone, or with your significant other? Joey and I started on this path in earnest on October 19th 2010. He eventually went veggie, I went vegan and we've both become pretty health conscious.  He's lost about 22 lbs, I've lost almost 70 now. (He doesn't have nearly as much to lose.)  Exposure Therapy Joey has a fairly wide streak of social anxiety. He came with me to the gym the day I got my free 3 day pass earlier this week. He even came on the tour of the gym with me, which was panic inducing for him. I had butterflies, but he was shaking and miserable just sitting in the waiting area after the tour, and he was all alone.  Today I asked him to sign up for the 3day pass. I know right now he doesn't have the time or the drive to get a membership, he just wouldn't use it enough for it to matter. But I wanted him to expose himself to the idea, I think exposure therapy is good for him, in many ways.  I think it can help a lot of peop

"Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving."

I looked at this blog for the first time in two years the other day. I wanted to reference a post in another piece of writing. I had completely forgotten that I had revamped this site, and I like its look now. I do honestly miss writing here. So, I might try and liven the joint up a bit. Check back soon! Where am I now? I am going for a physical next Friday. It will be the first one I've had in a year and a half.  I have been gaining and losing the same 20 pounds my entire life, it seems. I have had some severe health issues in the last couple of years, like heavy shit that I'm not going to bore you with right now. Either way, my immune system decided to go bust. I have spent close to a year trying to improve it. I'm eating pretty healthy, I take vitamins now, and immune-boosting gummies, and zinc and blah blah blah. I was also suffering from chronic dehydration. Don't let yourself get there kiddie winkies. It's a bad time. I have spent the last three months or

Cookbook giveaway! (Appetite for Reduction) Enter now!

This contest is for U.S residents only: Okay, so I have a few ideas for some giveaways that I'm planning on doing over the next few months. This is the first one, the next one I'll do once I hit 100 followers cuz it's a bigger prize and I'd like as many people as possible to be able to enter and spread the word. Contest Deadline: Starts now (April 12th) Ends before midnight (eastern time) April 22nd 2011 For now, I will be giving away a copy of my favorite cookbook, Appetite for Reduction , by Isa Chandra Moskowitz  << Her website. The Prize: This book is amazing, a lot of non-vegans think that vegan cookbooks are all full of strange ingredients that are only available at health food stores, but that isn't the case with this book. It has simple recipes made with easy to find and prepare ingredients and nearly everything in the book is between 200-400 calories per serving, and the servings are a good size. I've made many fabulous dishes from this b