Skip to main content

Vacation aftermath and moving forward

Joey and I just got back from a vacation, where I'm certain I gained at least 5 lbs (in crab), but I don't know/won't know because I'm not weighing myself. I weigh myself a week or so before going to the Dr. and that is it. It seems, aside from pigging out on vacation, that I have maintained a 25 lb loss but haven't lost any additional weight to my knowledge.

Maintaining it get's a great big 'huzzah!' from me, because I haven't even been doing anything except eating when I'm hungry and stopping when I'm full. I have managed to maintain a 25 lb loss doing that alone.

So, now Joey and I are home, and on the same page about our weight loss goals. We are eating meat, but far less of it and have decided to make veggies half of our portion at dinner, a tiny bit of meat and a grain. Tonight we had a giant salad and a bit of chili and rice. It was very filling, I didn't even finish my chili, but I must say it was quite fab. Lean ground beef, and sprinkled a bit of cheese and sour cream on it. I'm not going to do 'low fat' or 'fat free' anything, aside from leaner cuts of meat. I hate how that crap tastes and I'd rather just have a little of the real thing than a bunch of the fat free junk. So far the salad and chili was all we had to eat today, I imagine we'll have something light later, some fruit maybe, I'll be making kale chips tonight and maybe make some kale and pineapple juice for us.

I did a lot of walking (for me) on vacation, walking the boardwalk and the pier at the beach, on my feet a lot for mini golf, etc. I was in a lot of pain from it all, I went to bed kind of early most nights of vacation to escape the pain, but today I feel pretty good and realize I need to get back into yoga, I know it is something that helps me. #yogaismypainpill!



Anyhow, I'll be taking lunch to work all week this week, for one, it'll be cheaper than eating out and two, we're not eating out this week. (financial reasons, aka, vaca took all our monies) and also because I don't want to eat crap at work, I'm better off eating homemade food and just heat it at work.

Today we went grocery shopping. We spent around 150$ and got a full cart of food, everything healthy! TO HEALTH! I'm in a really good place mentally right now, and I think that is what I needed. I just NEEDED some time to come to terms with this fat body, and I have. I have made peace with it. In the past my weight loss efforts were highly amped, addictive feeling, obsession filled endeavors to get as much weight off as fast as possible because I hated the body I was in. Now,  I could be this weight for the rest of my life and it would be okay (but probably a shorter life). I want this for health, and I want this for Joey's health too. I'm not going back to the Dr until jan, and I am not weighing myself until I go for my yearly physical. I'm not counting calories, I'm just going to do what I can while staying sane about it.

I'm so OVER the dieting mentality, the scale dependent self esteem, all of it. When I can fit into smaller clothes, I'll go shopping and that is how I will know I'm on the right track. Honestly while weight loss would be a good indication of my health and how I"m doing, it's not the most important thing, if I'm eating healthier and moving more, that is what matters most. Weight loss, even if only a modest amount, is a bonus, it's not the end all be all goal. I just want to be healthier.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Courage is the hallmark of a warrior"

Are you traveling this path alone, or with your significant other? Joey and I started on this path in earnest on October 19th 2010. He eventually went veggie, I went vegan and we've both become pretty health conscious.  He's lost about 22 lbs, I've lost almost 70 now. (He doesn't have nearly as much to lose.)  Exposure Therapy Joey has a fairly wide streak of social anxiety. He came with me to the gym the day I got my free 3 day pass earlier this week. He even came on the tour of the gym with me, which was panic inducing for him. I had butterflies, but he was shaking and miserable just sitting in the waiting area after the tour, and he was all alone.  Today I asked him to sign up for the 3day pass. I know right now he doesn't have the time or the drive to get a membership, he just wouldn't use it enough for it to matter. But I wanted him to expose himself to the idea, I think exposure therapy is good for him, in many ways.  I think it can help a lot of peop

"Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving."

I looked at this blog for the first time in two years the other day. I wanted to reference a post in another piece of writing. I had completely forgotten that I had revamped this site, and I like its look now. I do honestly miss writing here. So, I might try and liven the joint up a bit. Check back soon! Where am I now? I am going for a physical next Friday. It will be the first one I've had in a year and a half.  I have been gaining and losing the same 20 pounds my entire life, it seems. I have had some severe health issues in the last couple of years, like heavy shit that I'm not going to bore you with right now. Either way, my immune system decided to go bust. I have spent close to a year trying to improve it. I'm eating pretty healthy, I take vitamins now, and immune-boosting gummies, and zinc and blah blah blah. I was also suffering from chronic dehydration. Don't let yourself get there kiddie winkies. It's a bad time. I have spent the last three months or

Cookbook giveaway! (Appetite for Reduction) Enter now!

This contest is for U.S residents only: Okay, so I have a few ideas for some giveaways that I'm planning on doing over the next few months. This is the first one, the next one I'll do once I hit 100 followers cuz it's a bigger prize and I'd like as many people as possible to be able to enter and spread the word. Contest Deadline: Starts now (April 12th) Ends before midnight (eastern time) April 22nd 2011 For now, I will be giving away a copy of my favorite cookbook, Appetite for Reduction , by Isa Chandra Moskowitz  << Her website. The Prize: This book is amazing, a lot of non-vegans think that vegan cookbooks are all full of strange ingredients that are only available at health food stores, but that isn't the case with this book. It has simple recipes made with easy to find and prepare ingredients and nearly everything in the book is between 200-400 calories per serving, and the servings are a good size. I've made many fabulous dishes from this b